December 31, 2015

Reine Grace Needs a Listening Ear

Hello all! Happy New Year's Eve!

My friend Reine Grace, who you've met before, came over to my house today in a tizzy - she was so upset! When I asked her why, she said she wasn't going to be Girl of the Year anymore after tonight - whatever that means! So, like my mom who is a therapist, I sat down with Reine to listen to her troubles.


"What seems to be troubling you, Reine?" I asked. 

Reine threw her arm against her forehead in exasperation. "I'm not going to be Girl of the Year anymore after tonight! I feel like my life has no purpose anymore! I was top dog and now I'm old news."


"Mmm hmm. Well, let's make a list of some things that do give you meaning in your life. How does that sound, Reine?" I asked.

"Okay," she said reluctantly.


"Well, I love baking. And my dogs. I'm always helping my parents out at their bakery," Reine said.


"That's great!" I said. "What else gives you purpose?"

"Umm..." Reine hesitated, lost in thought.


"I guess I'm pretty fashionable. I like to give other people fashion advice. Like, those boots you have on are just not working with that swea-"

"Okay, so fashion. That's good. Let's go back to baking. You said you like to help out at your parents' bakery, right?" I asked.

"Yeah..." Reine said.

"How about you start your own bakery cart business? You could sell at school functions. It could be a fun way for you to have fulfillment in your life and do something you love!" I said.

Reine shot up on the couch,


"You're right!" Reine exclaimed. "That's exactly what I'll do!"


"Eureka!" I shouted.


"I feel so much better already!" Reine said. "Thanks Doctor Charlie!"


"Well, I'm not actually a...Nevermind! You're welcome, Reine!" I said. "I'm happy to help!"

Have you ever helped a friend who needed a listening ear?

1 comment:

  1. Jim, I'm a doctor, not a doll therapist! Sorry, couldn't resist a little Star Trek humor...
    This is great. Charlie should charge for her services!

    ReplyDelete